Pasta is hands down my favourite carbohydrate.
I could live on the stuff, and Lasagne is comfort food at its finest.
Soft pasta smothered in a whole load of creamy/tomato goodness, and plenty of melted cheese?
Well seriously? What could be better?
Over the years I have tried to minimise my meat intake, and always opt for veggie alternatives when possible.
I am not a huge lover of Quorn mince, but spotted this meat free mince in Sainsburys, and decided to give it a try.
I would give it a strong 7/10. It’s the nicest meat free mince I have tried by far, and little legs loved it.
The texture and flavour was enjoyable, but next time I would opt for a ratatouille style filling.
I think it is safe to say I just don’t really like meat free substitutes.
But I would highly recommend this, if you do!
Courgette Lasagne Recipe
- 400g mince of your choice
- 2 courgettes
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- 150g mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tin of tinned tomatoes
- 1 veggie stock cube
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 lasagne sheets
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 1 bay leaf
- Cup of semi-skimmed milk or Oat Milk
- 70g cheddar cheese
- To a frying pan add the Olive oil, red onion, mushrooms, and garlic and lightly fry for 3 minutes.
- Add mince and soy sauce and fry for around 5 minutes until browned.
- Add tinned tomatoes, oregano, vegetable stock cube, pepper and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Add butter to a separate pan and heat on low until melted.
- Add flour and whisk, 30 seconds later add milk and bay leaf and continue to whisk until you have a creamy white sauce.
- Using a potato peeler peel the courgettes into strips.
- Ladle around 3 large spoonfuls of the mince to a medium sized rectangle pyrex dish, and add three sheets of pasta on top.
- Add 3 large spoonfuls of the white sauce (minus the bay leaf) and cover with the courgette strips: as pictured below.
- Repeat this process.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the top, a little oregano and some of the courgette strips.
- Cook in oven at 180°C (Gas mark 4) for 25 minutes.
- Tuck in!
It’s a really delicious tasty, hearty dish and a great way to incorporate some extra veggies into your diet.
You can use any filling you like from mince, meat free mince, veggies to chicken and pancetta.
If you try it let me know, I would love to know what you think.