Last weekend i was craving all the hearty and warming foods, stick to you ribs sort of grub.
I wanted something filling, tasty, and indulgent and was so happy with how this dish turned out.
I basically chucked a load of ingredients in to a pan, and hoped for the best.
Lentil & Mozzarella Stew Recipe with Crispy Tortillas
- 500g mixed lentils
- Olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 pieces of chopped celery
- 100ml pasatta
- 8 cups of water
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 3 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon of dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
Toppings & Sides.
- 2 tortillas
- Bunch of parsley
- 50g pomegranate
- 50g mozzarella
- Sliced fresh chilli (optional)
- To a large heavy bottomed pan add a tablespoon of Olive oil add the roughly chopped onion, crushed garlic carrots and celery.
- Heat on a medium heat for 10 minutes stirring regularly with a wooden spoon.
- Add the lentils and cups of water.
- Add pasatta, stock cubes, paprika, chilli powder, cumin, parsley, thyme, and bay leaves.
- Cook on a medium heat for around 40 minutes.
- Stir regularly, and if it becomes thicker add a little more water.
- Cut two tortillas into triangles and grill for 1 minute on a medium heat on each side.
- Ladle the lentil stew into a bowl, add pomegranate, parsley, chilli and mozzarella.
The heat from the stew melts the mozzarella and makes it all gooey and creamy, perfection.
This batch makes 6 large portions, and it can be frozen for a rainy day.
Do you think you may try?