This recipe is so quick to make, and the flavours packed into each layer are just delightful.
If you are a regular reader of this blog then you will know I use fresh chilli on a lot of my dishes. It ain’t half as scary as it looks, and with this dish particularly, I feel it is a key component as it adds a kick, crunch and a lovely warming flavours against the cheesy sweet potato and aubergine topping.
This takes 10 minutes to make, and the oven does the rest.
Lets get cracking.
- 250g lean turkey mince
- 2 sweet potatoes (300g)
- 1 aubergine
- 100g sliced mushrooms
- Half a red onion
- 1 250ml carton of passata
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- One chicken stock cube
- One tablespoon of dried thyme
- 3 crushed garlic cloves.
- One tablespoon of low fat creme fraiche
- 60g of Cheddar Cheese
- 1 sliced red chilli
- A handful of sliced parsley
- Salt & pepper
1) To a frying pan on a medium heat, add the mushrooms and red onion, with the Worcestershire sauce and fry for 6 minutes. Turn oven on 180 degrees or gas mark 4, so it can warm up.
2) Add the turkey mince, thyme, paprika and garlic, fry for 7 minutes.
3) Add the passata, and chicken stop cube, salt and pepper, creme fraiche and simmer for a further 4 minutes.
4) Whilst the turkey is cooking, wash and slice the aubergine and sweet potato, (unpeeled) around 2cm thick for both is perfect.
5) Sprinkle salt over the aubergine slices, both sides. This will draw out the natural salts and stop the aubergine from going soggy.
6) To a long pyrex dish, add half the turkey mix, and layer half the aubergine slices, and sweet potato slices, then repeat.
7) Sprinkle the cheese all over.
8) Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, on 180 degrees or gas mark 4.
9) Garnish with the sliced chilli (optional), and parsley and tuck in.
This is a feast, it serves 3 hungry people, and tastes even better reheated the day after.
Do you think you may try?