With Summer here – ish. I like to lighten up the dishes I eat, I find my appetite isn’t as ravenous in the warmer months (don’t worry, it sure comes back with a bang once Autumn hits). This courgette and mozzarella bake is tasty and light. I have substituted the pasta for ribbons of courgette, and packed the layers full of veggies.
Courgette & Mozzarella Bake
- 3 courgettes
- 150g mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- Small tin of sweetcorn
- 1 bag of rocket
- 1 ball of low fat mozzarella
- Handful of parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of dried basil
- 1 small jar of pasatta
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- To a frying pan add olive oil and warm on a low heat.
- Slice the mushrooms and red onion and add to the frying pan.
- Crush two garlic cloves in to the frying pan, add the paprika, dried basil and warm all together on a medium heat.
- With a potato peeler, peel the courgettes and put to one side.
- After 5- 7 minutes, add the pasatta to the frying pan, sugar and salt and pepper and stir.
- Let the mixture reduce till it becomes a thick sauce, and then add sweetcorn and stir.
- To a baking dish roll up the courgettes and pack together, leaving a hole in the middle of each.
- With a teaspoon carefully spoon the vegetable mix into the holes, continue till each is full.
- Chop the mozzarella roughly. and sprinkle over the whole dish.
- Place in the oven at 180 °C (gas mark 5) and cook for 20 minutes.
- Take out the oven and garnish with chopped fresh basil and a handful of rocket.
You could serve this with some fresh bread, pasta or with chicken/fish.
You can also freeze, it is great reheated – and tastes just as yummy.