Social Silence

With the ever growing presence of social media within our lives, sharing our photos and updating our status can be something that is now very much, for the majority “a daily do”.

On paper it is such a good idea. A place to share all aspects of life. From sharing our business or hobby, to grow and gain support. To more personal posts, where family and friends are able to see what we are up to. From the birth of a child, a dream holiday – to a sunny day at the park. It is supposed to be a place where people can socialise, interact, praise and support.

But the majority of us are not social, we are social stalkers.

A study found that on average ONLY between 4-10% of our friends, or followers will interact with any status or image we may post. So where are the other 90%?

The algorithm on Instagram & Facebook is partly to blame. (More info on algorithm here)

But this is just a small factor. Some profiles aren’t active, and some people genuinely do not check their timelines often.

Then there is the harsh truth, the majority see our posts, but choose not to like or interact with them.

So on average 90% of people are not interacting with posts. If we seen a friend or relative in person and they showed us a picture, or told us an exciting bit of news – would we ignore them?

I think not.

But is this the same? Is ignoring people on social media the same?

It has been scientifically proven that the less likes or comments we get, it activates the negative receptors in our brain. So in a nut-shell, we can feel the same feelings we would feel being ignored in public.

So on some level, yes, it is the same.

But for the sake of humanity and our mental health, we can’t let it be.

Even though it is supportive and feels nice to receive likes and comments, we shouldn’t depend on them. They don’t validate us, they don’t make us any better of a person. With social media sometimes being far from social, it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. The main thing to remember is WE like what we post, WE are proud of what we do, and WE should be celebrating ourselves. It’s not up to other people to encourage, like or support us.

Studies show that overall, we are happier when we spend time away from social media. The truth is, we can’t really live authentically, or happily, when our self-worth is linked to how many likes or comments we get.

There is only one “like” that is important, and that is our own.

A X

Follow: