This dish screams Summer, initially. But don’t be fooled, from the crispy bacon, soft cod and creamy broth, well all the latter creates the most perfect hearty meal.
As usual this is easy, peasy to make.
Cod & Pancetta with a Leek & Pea Broth
2 large pieces of cod
6 slices of pancetta
2 tablespoons of cream cheese
A teaspoon of chilli flakes
A teaspoon of black pepper
1) Wrap 3 pieces of pancetta around each piece of cod, so the whole fillet is covered.
2) To a baking dish add a teaspoon of olive oil and then place the wrapped fillets of cod in the dish.
3) Add to the oven, on 180°C(gas mark 6) and cook for 15 minutes.
4) To a heavy bottom frying pan, add chopped leeks.
5) Remove the dish from the oven and there will be a lot of juices, drain them out and add to the frying pan. Wrap the dish in some tinfoil, to keep warm.
6) Heat the leeks on low, the broth will help the leeks to become soft. After 6-7 minutes add the peas, cream cheese, chilli flakes,(optional) and black pepper and stir for 2 minutes.
Add a dash of water if sauce is too thick.
7) Ladle the leek and pea broth into a large pasta bowl, slice the pieces of cod in half, and plate up.
I don’t add any salt as the pancetta naturally adds a salty flavour.
The juices from the cod and pancetta takes this dish to another level.
You could serve with some herby potatoes, but as I mainly eat reduced carb meals, I opted to not have any.
In all honesty they wasn’t missed as the dish was so tasty.