I am such a savoury type of gal, and I could gorge on all the pies and pastries all day long.
This is my take on the traditional sausage roll, but with a festive twist.
The Turkey and Stuffing Rolls, and the Cranberry Jam are super easy to make. The whole process takes around twenty minutes.
Turkey and Stuffing Rolls
Ready Rolled Puff Pastry (320g)
200g lean turkey mince
1 tablespoon of mixed herbs
50g ready made stuffing
1 organic chicken stock cube
Salt & Pepper
Tablespoon of fresh thyme
Tablespoon of Olive oil
Spicy Cranberry Jam
150g fresh cranberries
50g of sugar
Teaspoon of chilli flakes
Salt & pepper
1) Take the pastry from the packet and roll out so flat.
2) Cut the pastry longways into 3 even pieces. (Image here )
3) To a frying pan add the olive oil, turkey, herbs, and fry on a medium head for 7 minutes.
4) Then add the stuffing, salt and pepper and stock cube, and fry for a further 4 minutes
5) Let the turkey filling cool for 5 minutes.
7) Repeat this process with the other 2 pieces of pastry. Then cut into individual sized rolls. I done mine around 5cm long, but the choice is yours.
8) With a fish slice, place the rolls on a greaseproof oven dish. Brush over a little olive oil on each roll, and pierce down the middle of each roll with a fork.
9) Place in an oven on 160oC or Gas Mark 6 for 20 minutes.
10) Whilst the rolls are cooking. To a pan add the cranberries, water, sugar, salt and pepper and chilli flakes.
11) Simmer on low, the sauce will thicken as the cranberries cook and it will turn into a sticky jam after around 15 minutes.
12) Transfer the jam to a bowl, and remove the turkey and stuffing rolls from the oven.
Eat warm, cold, what ever you fancy. You can freeze too, as long as you use fresh turkey.
These are just perfect to whip out the freezer, and warm for a quick festive snack.
Do you think you may try?