As it's the peak of Summer, the obligatory Sunday roast is a bit much on a hot sunny day.
So ya know, what screams Summer more than the fresh flavours, and ingredients from the Mexican cuisine?
These ingredients are even more so special, when left to mingle with each other. A time-saving trick for this dish, and one that you are grateful for the next day, in terms of cutting down the time spent slaving over a hot stove, but still creating a finger licking dish - is marinating the chicken.
It takes less than 5 minutes to do, it gets shoved in the fridge, left overnight, and the flavours that develop over this time, well it helps to create a gorgeous tasty feast, in less than 20 minutes.
The recipe is as follows:
Mexican Style Chicken and Rice with Guacamole, and Lime and Chilli Corn on the Cobs.
(Served 3-4 people)
3 chicken breasts (sliced into 1cm strips)
1 red pepper
1 red onion
4 cloves of garlic
A handful of parsley
2 heaped tablespoons of smoked paprika
200g of brown rice
Tin of chopped tomatoes
1 chicken stock cube
4 cherry tomatoes
Teaspoon of chilli flakes
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt & Pepper.
1) The night before you plan to make this feast, slice the chicken into 1cm strips, add to a large bowl, slice the red pepper, red onion and mushroom, and also add to the bowl.
2) Add the smoked paprika, a tablespoon of olive oil, the juice of one lime, salt and pepper, a handful of parsley, and 4 crushed garlic cloves.
3) Mix together, so all the ingredients are coated, cover with tinfoil and pop in the fridge overnight.
The next day...
4) To a pan add the rice, cover with boiling water and simmer according to the time stated on the pack.
5) To a frying pan, add the marinated chicken, and fry on a medium heat.
6) Whilst the rice, and chicken are cooking. Mash the avocado in a bowl, slice 4 cherry tomatoes and mash this into the avocado, squeeze half the juice of a lemon, and add a teaspoon of chilli flakes, salt and pepper, and mix. (Put to one side)
7) The Lime & Chilli Corn on the cob recipe is here, and this is the point where I would start them.
8) After 12 minutes, the rice and chicken would be cooked. Drain the rice, and add it to the frying pan.
9) Add the tin of tinned tomatoes, chicken stock cube, salt and pepper to the rice and chicken, and mix all together and cook on a low heat for 5-7 minutes.
9) Take the frying pan off the heat, and to freshen the whole dish, add the juice of a whole lime, and a sprinkling of parsley, and mix through.
Put everything on a chopping board, the chicken and rice, guacamole, and corns, then TUCK IN!
It is a very tasty dish, that takes around 20 minutes to prepare from start to finish.
There is always lots of leftovers too, which you could have the next day, or freeze.
Do you think you may try?