I had some filo pastry to use up, inspired by my love of Greek food, I kinda made up this recipe as I went along. It was a huge success. The slices where a little tricky to photograph as they are so delicate, but I had to get over this niggle, ( I ain’t 100% happy with the image) and still share the recipe with you, as it is just so good.
Feta, Aubergine and Red Pepper Filo Slices
2 sheets of filo pastry
Half an aubergine
1 red pepper
Half a block of feta cheese
1 tablespoon of pesto
6 mint leaves
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1) Place the 2 sheets of filo pastry on a chopping board, and brush some olive oil over.
2) Thinly slice the aubergine, feta cheese and red pepper.
3) Layer the aubergine across one side of the pastry, and top with the red pepper, feta, and add the mint leaves.
4) On the other side, smear the pesto across the pastry.
5) Place the pesto covered side of the filo pastry on top of the aubergine, red pepper, and feta.
6) Fold the 3 edges over, and brush Olive oil all over, so each side sticks and seals the whole parcel.
7) Bake on some baking paper and a oven tray, at 160oC or gas mark 5 for 25 minutes.
8) Remove, leave to cool and then slice into 4 triangles.
6) EAT! :o)
I made a lime and cucumber dip, I mixed 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise, half the juice of a lime, and some cubed cucumber, and a little fresh mint, and mixed together.
This just worked perfectly with the aubergine and red pepper.
I made 3 batches of these and froze them.
I plan to make good use of them when I have visitors, I can just whip them out, and reheat from frozen.
Do you like the sound of them? Would love to hear your thoughts.