200g all purpose flour
200g Unsalted melted Butter
1 tin of pumpkin
1 teaspoon baking powder
200g granulated white sugar
Half a lemon (juice)
Tablespoon of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove (mixed spice would be sufficient and available in most supermarkets)
Cream Cheese Topping:
A tub of low fat cream cheese
60g Icing Sugar
Half a lemon (juice)
Teaspoon of Cinnamon
Square baking tin (24 inch)
Oh and one toddler to mix it all up. :o)
1) Add all the sponge ingredients into a mixing bowl at once, stir until smooth and mixed well.
2) Line baking tin with the baking parchment and add sponge mix to baking tin.
3) Place in oven at 180 degrees for 35 minutes. TIP: To check it is cooked place a thin metal skewer in the middle of the sponge,if no wet dough mixture is on the skewer then it is ready.
4) Whilst cake is in oven mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon in a mixing bowl and put in fridge.
5) Cut a piece of baking parchment and then with a potato peeler ,peel slices from the apple (9 large pieces). Lightly dust cinnamon over the apple pieces and pop in oven for 8-10 minutes, until lightly golden. Then leave to cool on the baking parchment.
6) Take sponge out of oven, leave to cool for ten minutes then transfer to a wire rack for a further 30 minutes until completely cooled down. The baking parchment will make it super easy to get it out the tin.
7) Once cool with a sharp knife spruce up the edges to make them straight and into a more precise square shape.
8) Smear the cream cheese topping over the sponge and then put in fridge for 15 minutes.
9) Take out of fridge and cut into 9 slices and then place a baked apple slice on each piece.
That’s it done and dusted. These are big slices so after I took the pictures I then sliced them in half again, so it made 18 pieces.
Do you think you will try? If you follow Weight Watchers (after cut into 18 pieces)
these work out at 7 points each. So you don’t want to be shovelling these in every damn day, but you know what we all deserve a treat once in a while.
I was so impressed I was tempted to apply to the Great British Bake Off, but seen sense and gave my head a wobble!
You only made a basic sponge girl, calm down.
So I have 2 tins of pumpkin left, and some pretty nifty ideas up my sleeve, stay tuned for more Autumnal pumpkin inspired dishes coming soon.
Thanks for popping by.